Had a spontaneous urge to bake today. I also did weird stuff like clean out the fridge and wash all the shelves.. perhaps I’m nesting? I have one week left before my baby arrives so I’m cherishing every moment I have with just me and my boy. Hard to believe my first baby is suddenly a very big 12 year old! We are loving all the time we get to spend together, and as crap as COVID lockdown is the forced remote learning and maternity leave has coincided perfectly. Much to his delight this morning I told him to abandon his work to come and bake a cake with me and pump the music in the kitchen. We attempted a GF version of an old recipe of mine, and tweaked it a bit to create something new. It’s delicious. And the memory of us baking together is really special.
This is one of those ‘get’s better with age’ cakes. Still have no idea how that works but it’s definitely a thing.
Also, if you don’t need to make it gluten free just sub GF flour for regular self raising flour.
GF Lemon Yoghurt + Polenta Cake
- 125g butter
- 1 and 1/4 cups caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup greek yoghurt
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- zest from 3 lemons
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 and 1/2 cups gluten free SR flour (or regular SR flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (or 170 fan forced) and grease and line a 24cm springform baking pan
- Beat together the butter and sugar until pale then add the eggs one at time, beating between each addition, and beat until you have a pale and fluffy batter. Scape down the sides as necessary.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat together gently until fully incorporated.
- Spoon into cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 45 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve with greek yogurt or sour cream on the side.
*note: if you wanted to ice this cake it would be incredible with cream cheese frosting. If I had some cream cheese already on hand I wouldn’t hesitate for a moment.