This is the kind of thing I make myself for lunch on a regular basis. LOADS of vegetables. For me, the secret is in the preparation of the vegetables . The cabbage needs to cut into the finest of chiffonade. The carrots and zucchini into long slender julienne strips. I do not have a mandolin (it is absolutely on my want list but it’s likely I’d lose a finger the day I got it), but I do have funny little julienne speed peeler thingy. It is from one of those hospitality supply shops and is very sharp and super effective. If you do not have the money for a good mandolin, or are scared like me that you might have a scary accident with one, I suggest buying one of these fandangle peelers. It may sound ridiculous but it does make quite a big difference in the final dish. When the vegetables are prepared this way you end up with a far superior mouth feel than the chunky short grated salad.
The noodles are slathered in the most delicious + addictive miso/tahini dressing. This salty sweet dressing is good on pretty much everything so be sure to make yourself a double batch. I use rice malt syrup but it could easily be replaced with maple syrup or honey if that is what you have on hand. Other vegies are definitely welcome in this dish too – peas, mushrooms, daikon or mizuna, to name a few. Sometimes I also make a skinny omelette and cut it into long thin strips to pile on top at the end. This salad keeps quite well – leftovers are delicious for next day lunches, just omit the avocado until you are ready to serve it.
Noodle Salad with Miso + Tahini Dressing
– 90g SOBA or RAMEN NOODLES
– CARROT, peeled and sliced into thin julienne
– ZUCCHINI, sliced into thin julienne
– CABBAGE, cut into thin chiffonade
– 1/2 CUCUMBER, cut into thin rounds
– 2 SPRING ONIONS, sliced
– 1 TBSP SESAME SEEDS, dry toasted
– 1/2 AVOCADO, sliced
– 1/2 sheet NORI, cut into strips (I use scissors for this)
– 3 TBSP YELLOW MISO PASTE
– 1 TBSP TAHINI
– 2 TBSP RICE MALT SYRUP
– 1 GARLIC CLOVE, minced (optional)
– WATER, just a little to loosen the mixture
- Cook your noodles in boiling water for 4 minutes, strain and rinse under cold running water. Add to a large mixing bowl with the cabbage, carrot and zucchini and a big pinch of salt.
- Make the dressing by adding all the dressing ingredients to a glass and mix thoroughly using a fork, until combined.
- Pour dressing over noodles and mix well – I use my hands for this. Place salad into bowls and top with avocado, cucumber slices, spring onions and toasted sesame seeds. Garnish with nori strips.
- Enough for 2