I’m so thrilled to announce that Issue #2 of my zine – The Japanese Issue- is now available!!! It is literally the COOLEST thing I’ve ever done, and has the best contributors! Click here to find out more and order your copy 🙂
To celebrate this launch I am giving you guys this bonus recipe, the super simple and freaking delicious Vegan Curry Udon. It’s perfect for adapting to your own preferences too, so please just use the recipe as a guide.
- 100g medium tofu, drained with paper towel
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/2 carrot, diced small
- 1 – 2 Tbsp oil
- 3 cups vegan dashi stock (I use dashi powder)
- 2 blocks Japanese curry roux (S&B is the best)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 servings precooked udon noodles
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- Cut the drained tofu into cubes and fry gently with 1 Tbsp oil until all sides are golden. Season with salt, set aside.
- In a medium sized pot, gently sauté the onion and carrot with a decent splash of oil. Once the onion in translucent add the dashi stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the curry roux by placing into a ladle over the pot and adding a small amount of Dashi. Use a fork to whisk until smooth. Add this to the pot and stir to combine.
- Loosen the noodles in hot water and seperate the strands. Add these to the curry sauce. Add soy sauce, taste for seasoning and add salt if needed.
- Ladle into 2 bowls, top with fried tofu and spring onions. Serve immediately.
Serves 2. Scale recipe as needed.
* To make gluten free sub cooked gf spaghetti for noodles. You will also need to make your own curry roux. Here’s a good recipe I found.